Your Austin Attorney

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Criminal Defense
  4.  → FAQ Criminal Defense

Criminal Defense Attorneys In Austin Answer Your FAQs

At Hildreth & Rueda, our attorneys exclusively practice criminal law. They have extensive experience in Travis County, Williamson County and Hays County, representing those accused of crimes. No matter the severity of the criminal charges, if you need a criminal defense attorney in Austin, our lawyers regularly prepare defense strategies and try cases for those accused of crimes. Here, they answer some of the more frequent questions asked by those who are looking for a criminal defense lawyer. Hildreth & Rueda also offers a free consultation appointment to answer any specific questions that you might have.

When should I hire a criminal defense lawyer?

Anyone – including students at the University of Texas at Austin or any other college – who is under suspicion of a crime or who has been arrested or charged with a crime has the right to have their attorney present during any sort of questioning by law enforcement officers. Even if you have not been charged with a crime, the sooner you hire a criminal defense attorney, the sooner you have someone on your side protecting your rights.

What is the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony?

Crimes that are classified as felonies are more serious than misdemeanor crimes. In the state of Texas, anyone convicted of a misdemeanor generally does not face jail time of more than a year. Most of the drunk driving crimes in Texas are classified as misdemeanors. Felony charges can come with significant jail time penalties, depending on the charge. Drug crimes can be misdemeanors or felonies depending on the amount of the legal substance, where it was found and the type of substance.

I’ve been arrested. What should I do?

If you’ve been placed under arrest, the police will read you your rights and tell you that you have the right to remain silent. They will explain that anything you say could be used against you in court. They will also tell you that you have the right to hire an attorney. You should tell the police that you do not want to talk to them and that you would like to speak to an attorney. The police are not allowed to listen to you on the phone when you call a lawyer.

Am I eligible for a public defender?

You will only be appointed a public defender if you do not have the means to pay for one yourself. A public defender is employed by the county and handles a lot of cases at once. Anyone who is arrested in Texas for a Class A or B misdemeanor or for a felony crime has the right to have an attorney appointed by the court to represent them in their defense if they cannot afford to hire one for themselves.

Contact An Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney Today

Our firm offers a free, initial consultation appointment to answer any additional questions that you may have. You can schedule your free appointment by calling our office at 512-415-7648 or by sending us an email through our website.